Mark Twain is pleased to announce our continued participation in the 2018 Foundation for Rural Service (FRS) Scholarship Program. Mark Twain, in conjunction with FRS, offers an annual college scholarship to help further higher education among rural youth. FRS will fund $2,000 with a match of $500 from Mark Twain to a student from rural America for their first year of college, university or vocational technical school. In addition to the one-time $2,500 scholarship, the applications will also be considered for the following scholarships.
FRS Staurulakis Family Scholarships will award four $5,000 scholarships. Students with a focus in science, math, medicine or engineering will automatically be considered.
Telecom Management Services (TMS) will award two $1,500 scholarships.
The Everett Kneece Return to Rural America Scholarship will award one $7,000 scholarship.
The Roger Alan Cox Memorial Scholarship will award three $500 scholarships.
If a Mark Twain applicant does not receive any of the above scholarships, then they automatically become eligible to receive a $500 scholarship directly from Mark Twain.
Applications are available through your high school counselor, www.frs.org, the business office, or at Mark Twain’s web site, www.marktwain.net. The application requirements are minimal and take very little time to complete.
To be eligible you must:
1. Be a graduating high school senior.
2. Be a United States citizen.
3. Receive your local telephone service from Mark Twain Rural Telephone or Mark Twain Communications Company.
4. Be accepted by an accredited two- or four-year college, university or vocational–technical school.
5. Have at least a C grade point average (GPA).
6. Be sponsored by Mark Twain Rural Telephone or Mark Twain Communications Company.
7. Express an interest to return to a rural community following graduation.
Your completed application should first be sent to Mark Twain Rural Telephone Company for the General Manager’s signature and further processing. Scholarship applications should arrive at the telephone company by Monday, February 12, 2018, so that FRS’s March 1st deadline can be met. If you have any questions, please call our office at 423-5211 and ask for Kim Gibbons.
Please submit applications to:
Mark Twain Rural Telephone Company
ATTN: FRS Scholarship
P.O. Box 68
Hurdland, MO 63547
Click Here to download the application.